Search for content in message boards

Relationships Quandry

Replies: 41

Re: Relationships Quandry

Posted: 2 Dec 2010 10:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
"Whether Mary's adoptive parents were homosexual or not does not matter; THERE ARE NOT HER BIOLOGICAL PARENTS. You can trace Joe and Henry, if you want to, but their ancestors are not Mary's ancestors."

... and I think you have come to the point of the original poster's question. Let's say Mary's biological parents weren't ever married. How would you enter them into FTM or Ancestry.com? No matter what you do, they are listed as each other's spouses. It's misleading.

And ultimately, the information you determine is essential depends greatly on whether you are related to Joe, Henry, or Mary. In my opinion, every familial relationship ought to at least be acknowledged.

Regarding same-sex and other relationships:
FTM 2011 will allow you to enter same-sex couples, but again you only have the option to be a "husband" or "wife" (and "mother" and "father"), not "partner." It will change the status to husband or wife (based upon the gender). For example, I entered two females and they were both listed as "wife."

I know that there is a family tree program out there that allows non-traditional relationships such as "partner" ... I just can't remember whether it's RootsMagic 4 or the most recent version of Legacy.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
alexkillby 3 Dec 2010 4:54AM GMT 
2darncute 3 Dec 2010 5:34AM GMT 
swansbh 11 Feb 2013 3:34AM GMT 
frostfreedet 11 Feb 2013 5:36AM GMT 
keithnuttle 11 Feb 2013 2:43PM GMT 
swansbh 12 Feb 2013 11:25PM GMT 
keithnuttle 13 Feb 2013 3:40AM GMT 
carol santos 3 Dec 2010 5:38AM GMT 
Thomas MacEnt... 17 Oct 2007 6:51PM GMT 
sailortech 18 Oct 2007 4:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions