Search for content in message boards

Tip on finding badly indexed names in the 1940 census-and other census decades

Replies: 4

Tip on finding badly indexed names in the 1940 census-and other census decades

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 11:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
I just finished finding a family in the 1940 census where the surname was very badly indexed. Maybe this will help others-especially those who are not very experienced.

I knew the birth date and birth location and had located this same family in the same county/state through the US City Directory so I knew they were there.

After trying different approaches using surname including soundex and/or given name-I left off the names entirely. I used the State & County-birth date with in 2 years, gender and birth location. I got nearly 5,000 responses at that time. I went through the alphabet until I got to the first letter of the surname and then started down the list watching closely for any matches until I finally found the family I was looking for. Then I entered a correction which maybe sometime will allow others to find the family using the correct surname. I thought others might benefit from this type of approach.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mbmjlm 5 Sep 2012 5:52PM GMT 
JoMac53 28 Nov 2012 8:31PM GMT 
JoelWeintraub 28 Nov 2012 8:54PM GMT 
JoMac53 29 Nov 2012 5:12PM GMT 
meekernj 30 Nov 2012 1:44AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions