Search for content in message boards

Searching seems very limited

Replies: 3

Searching seems very limited

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 7:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
What's the deal with searching the 1940 census? seems like it is not being very smart. Take for example I have the following person:

Melba I Adkins (along with dates and locations but ignore theses and just use the name.

Ancestry returns NOTHING! but if I drop the "I" then it finds the correct name. Seems like the 1940 census search rules are very limited. I've noticed this with lots of name variations that the 1940 census is too literal (not necessarily other census years). You have to get the name 100% correct or no go, Bobby is no good if the name is Bobbie in the census and lots more like this. Seems like there needs to be more heuristics added to help find folks. Fortunately I have had luck going to the FamilySearch data to find many of these cases. Then I use ancestry to search for another name on the page and from there I can get back to my original name in ancestry. But should not have to do this.

Hopefully Ancestry is looking and will update the search algorithm.

Thanks,

Jon
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jonsatcadence 17 Nov 2012 2:57AM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 17 Nov 2012 6:00AM GMT 
jonsatcadence 17 Nov 2012 6:54AM GMT 
RobinBMc 17 Nov 2012 1:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions