Search for content in message boards

"Editing" census records: a rant

Replies: 11

Re: "Editing" census records: a rant

Posted: 4 Jun 2014 7:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Particularly with the Census there are many small errors caused by the fact that the census is handwritten. I know of one example where the family name started wit Kn. The census taker, proud of his hand writing, wrote a flowery K followed by the N. When transcribed, the flowery K became TH. THK is an extremely uncommon letter combination. When you compare the flowery K with other TH's on the same page it is obvious that it is different.

Using the comments, I have added the proper transcription, with my documentation. I have done this for several of my ancestors where there is a transcription error, but always with the reason to believe the transcription is wrong

I knew of one person who had to be in the 1810 census from deeds and family records. I looked through ever line on every page in that county, and finally found the person's record attached to the next county. In fact the whole township was attached to the next county.

By adding the correct transcription to this record, the next person who actually tries to document this ancestor may then be able to use the time to finds the document that will correctly find this ancestor's parents.

There are several trees that show parents for this ancestor, some have him being born to his parents when they are both in their 60's, in a time when they were lucky to live into their 60's. There is another having his mother living in England during the period when it is documented that she is having babies about every two years in the Binghamton NY area. I guess they believe a ship under sail made weekly trips between England and New York. probably also believe it was a Cruise Ship.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
calvinculver 23 Nov 2013 4:04AM GMT 
RobinBMc 23 Nov 2013 5:10PM GMT 
calvinculver 24 Nov 2013 5:36AM GMT 
RobinBMc 24 Nov 2013 10:54AM GMT 
calvinculver 17 Feb 2014 2:10PM GMT 
deeflint01 17 Feb 2014 4:52PM GMT 
keithnuttle 4 Jun 2014 1:08PM GMT 
deeflint01 17 Feb 2014 4:48PM GMT 
meekernj 24 Nov 2013 12:05AM GMT 
lindalew 2 Aug 2014 12:07AM GMT 
per page