Search for content in message boards

When an ancestor is wrongly included in someone else's Ancestory tree

Replies: 44

Re: When an ancestor is wrongly included in someone else's Ancestory tree

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 8:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
My tree is extremely well documented. A 4th cousin recently asked for my help. We are connected on his paternal side, which is my maternal side, and I shared a boatload of information, plus I researched his maternal side much farther back than I normally would, since he was "new." He copied all, but he also copied everything from anybody with a similar name. The result? his "tree" has grown from 200 people to 6000+ people in less than 30 days. He has most people listed 3, 4, 5 times and has connected to a few hundred trees, most of which have no connection to our family.

I have coached, counseled, begged and pleaded, but he keeps clicking on every leaf that wiggles. He has done zero research - only copying from every possible tree with a similar name. Most names in his tree are at least bigamists and worse, since they are seen to be living in multiple states, with multiple spouses and offspring in the same year. After repeated attempts to modify his behavior (remember - he sought me out; he asked for my help), I gave up. He no longer has access to my tree.

Yesterday I received a begging email, wanting access. I told him he could have access if he cleaned up his tree. I reminded him that I had shown him the duplicates, triplicates (and worse - he has his own parents twice, and our shared earliest ancestor 4 times) and how to find and fix. His reply "Sorry, it was a request for one item. It will not happen again."

The worrying piece - this person is a university professor in literature and communications. What does that say about the educational system?

Of course, I am worried that the gene may be shared, and I only hope it came from his off-side:)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ethelredtwo 3 Jun 2012 7:42AM GMT 
BrklynBridge 3 Jun 2012 12:22PM GMT 
mbmjlm 3 Jun 2012 3:26PM GMT 
frostfreedet 3 Jun 2012 5:48PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 4 Jun 2012 12:26AM GMT 
Ethelredtwo 4 Jun 2012 1:03AM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 4 Jun 2012 1:20AM GMT 
twotzus 4 Jun 2012 6:13AM GMT 
wwjohnston 7 Jun 2012 1:23AM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 7 Jun 2012 2:44AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions