Search for content in message boards

Transcribe documents by hand

Replies: 7

Re: Transcribe documents by hand

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 10:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jan 2013 10:39AM GMT
Interesting question. I would love to see everyone's answers.

I actually do several things.

1)I add the info to software and attache the original image.
For some I also print out the image - call me old but I still love having something in my hands.

2)For important family members to my research (grandparents, etc) or those I am currently researching I use one of the standard forms issued by the National Archives. I transcribe the entire family, any related families and any familiar names on each sheet (I have tons of photos with names but no idea who the people are). I also am looking for names that may not be related but seem to move with my family members form one place to another. These names have been invaluable to locating and identifying missing family members.
They all go on the same sheet. Then I make a copy of the sheet for each separate families files so no matter who I look up I can see all that lived near them.

3)The next thing I do is I have a great spread sheet someone gave me years ago that allows me to track a specific family from one census to the next. The sheet is not everything from the census record. It is a spread sheet in which the columns each represent a census year and next to each family member under that census year column info such as location and age are documented. This allows me to see who is missing and the movements of the family. Works great for tracking and deciding where they may be next or following them backward in time. I keep these in a binder with my census sheets.

Having my census binder for the family is easier to look at and put info together from than to simply jump back and forth online. Faster to for me since I can place a marker next to the person on the sheet in front of me as I search online for that person or read other docs about that person.

And yes, I have had software crash or even worse... low battery at a research location on the laptop and no place to plug in. Paper saves the day!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kimjanderson 13 Jan 2013 5:05PM GMT 
rum2001 13 Jan 2013 5:39PM GMT 
scwbcm 13 Jan 2013 5:44PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 13 Jan 2013 6:31PM GMT 
kimjanderson 13 Jan 2013 7:39PM GMT 
scwbcm 13 Jan 2013 10:10PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 13 Jan 2013 10:50PM GMT 
scwbcm 13 Jan 2013 11:45PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic