Search for content in message boards

In reference to private trees

Replies: 2

In reference to private trees

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 8:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Dec 2012 7:15AM GMT
Well I can share why I keep my tree private. There are family members who, despite what I tell them about privacy protections and all, really do not want to be "on the internet". It is not just the older generation; my 24 year old nephew is adamantly against having his name listed, to the point of being offensive. I actually did not even put him in my tree although his mom is there. I have to respect that and although Ancestry says they keep the "living" relatives as private,sometimes %#?$ happens. I specified to members of my family that I'd be careful or at least safeguard the information as much as I could. Since I cannot keep track of who is viewing at any giving moment if the setting is PUBLIC, I can only keep my word if I can "control" or at least attempt to manage what is viewed. Ancestry has this "Guest" feature, and I know it takes a minute to get a response, but it seems to be a good compromise. If it were just me I would not be as fearful. But face it, everyone in the world does not have the highest motives. I don't want to be responsible for someone having an issue because I wanted to research family. If someone is a high match with you, they will reply back. I run into it myself and sometimes people won't even "Guest" you. I invite them to at least let me know if they have people from a certain area, or provide a last name to see if they have that. Because of the weird ethnicity mix I have, I don't even know for sure which names to give them. But I am trying to be flexible and do the best I can, since we all have reasons for what we do. :-)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
prestonmcleec... 14 Dec 2012 3:01PM GMT 
bertp42 19 Dec 2012 3:57PM GMT 
tulrose 19 Dec 2012 4:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions