Search for content in message boards

Relationship Calculator in Online Trees

Replies: 8

Relationship Calculator in Online Trees

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 12:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
This is a discussion from February under "view relationship to me" that arose when ancestry suddenly made changes to the relationship calculator, most notably removing the option to display or not display the identified relationship on the profile page. Mike Lawless said he was going to address the issues. On 4 Apr he posted:

"We've made some improvement in this area that you might be interested in.

In the "Tree Settings" page, there is a setting for "Who you are in this tree". If you click 'set to none', then we will now not prompt you for relationships. So no more "View relationship to me" links unnecessarily if you're not in the tree.

We restored the ability to see relationships if you are an invited guest, contributor, or editor.

We fixed an unintended update in the relationship display so that it is better at taking the closest relationship to you, rather than the most direct ancestral relationship to you. So, if you are in the case where your spouse also happens to be your 10th cousin 2x removed, we're just going to call them your spouse. If you're in that situation, you should be able to click on the relationship and have it recalculate and give you the new result."

However, he did NOT replace the option to display or not display. I wrote:

"Mike, Mike, Mike! The ONE THING I really wanted was to have you restore the option to remove the identified relationship and NOT display it AT ALL on the profile page. This was how it was before. That feature did not require you to leave the identified relationship displayed if you did not want it there. WHY, why, why, didn't you restore this? How hard could it be to put back a capability that was there before? Now, removing "who you are" means you can't even LOOK at what the relationship might be!!! It also removed those relationships I was interested in displaying, so that I could see at a glance if an individual was a direct-line (eg., X gen GP) or not. I am so disappointed in you ability to read the criticisms and respond to them. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE RELATIONSHIPS AND DISPLAY THEM IF I WANT AND EASILY REMOVE THEM IF I DON'T WANT THEM. Now, it's display everything or display nothing. So frustrating."

I also wrote:

"OK. So, I eliminated myself as both home person and "who you are." All the relationships therefore disappeared. Although that eliminated relationships I wanted to keep, I thought that it at least meant I had gotten rid of the ones I didn't want displayed. So, I again identified myself as both home person and "who I am," thinking that now I had a clean slate. BUT I DID NOT!!! The previously identified relationships reappeared in all their annoying detail. Please, please, please, just restore the option to display or not display the relationship. Mike Lawless, please respond and let me know why this is so difficult?!?"

So far, Mike Lawless has not responded. I know it's now the weekend but I am very disappointed.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MZashin 6 Apr 2013 6:21PM GMT 
frostfreedet 6 Apr 2013 6:52PM GMT 
michaelgrever 22 Apr 2013 2:25PM GMT 
frostfreedet 22 Apr 2013 7:30PM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 6 Apr 2013 7:15PM GMT 
scwbcm 6 Apr 2013 7:32PM GMT 
MZashin 7 Apr 2013 1:48AM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 7 Apr 2013 2:45AM GMT 
MZashin 7 Apr 2013 7:04AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions