Search for content in message boards

Is there a way to update an online Family Tree using a GEDCOM or do you have to create a new tree and delete the old one?

Replies: 1

Is there a way to update an online Family Tree using a GEDCOM or do you have to create a new tree and delete the old one?

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 6:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Apr 2013 6:12PM GMT
I have a private family tree that is linked to Family Tree Maker. I also have a public tree that is available to everyone and has living individuals privatized. I need to update the public tree but I do not see where you can upload a new GEDCOM to an existing tree. I only see the option to upload a new GEDCOM. If I upload a GEDCOM and use the exact same name as my old tree will it replace the old one or will there now be two trees with the same name.

And which is better to invite people to view? Your synched Family Tree from Family Tree Maker which shows everyone's information or your online tree which privatizes living individuals. The draw back in inviting everyone to the public tree is that it does not allow you to load a new GEDCOM to it (that I can see) and would either need to be replaced every time you add new people and information or you would have to manually add new information every time you find it to both trees. If you had to recreate a new tree every time you had updates you would have to reinvite everyone to the new tree each time.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Carolyn Capli... 9 Apr 2013 12:10AM GMT 
BrklynBridge 9 Apr 2013 1:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions