Search for content in message boards

Is the appearance of some shaky leaf hints case-sensitive?

Replies: 4

Re: Is the appearance of some shaky leaf hints case-sensitive?

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 10:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thanks, BurgessDonnelly...

I was especially interested in the answers in that thread you referenced from:

Laryn Brown, Product Manager, Ancestry.

Very interesting...

Laryn, if you're following this, we'd like to hear from you... please feel free to join in the discussion...

I find it truly amazing that we, paying users, should have to first, as you said...

"edit something on that person (add a note, edit one of the events) and save it"

...before we can see all the relevant current hints on a person in our tree.

So... When I access my tree in graphic pedigree view, and it goes through the routine of all those little green shaky leaf hints above each person wiggling and gyrating in sequence throughout the tree, from beginning to end, supposedly showing the hint algorithm scan is searching all databases on Ancestry for hints... what is actually happening?

Are all databases being searched? If not, why not? And if not, why do you even show this supposed "search" going on? Is it because it looks good to all the newbies who don't know any better, and is a good-looking marketing ploy?

I guess the major question is why does Ancestry's hint scan algorithm seem so "incomplete & inefficient?" Why do we have to jump through hoops to make it work? It seems that making this "feature" work as it should would be a big win-win for both Ancestry and it's users.

So, Laryn Brown, Product Manager, Ancestry... please let us hear from you...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jodjam 20 Apr 2013 8:14PM GMT 
jwardh 20 Apr 2013 8:17PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 21 Apr 2013 12:25AM GMT 
jodjam 21 Apr 2013 4:09AM GMT 
daciodan 21 Apr 2013 2:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions