Search for content in message boards

Why I can't have a public tree

Replies: 2

Why I can't have a public tree

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 11:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I know there has been a lot of anger and frustration from testers regarding people who have private trees or none at all. While I have issues with corporate policies and Ancestry trees to begin with the reason I can't have a public tree is because I the daughter of a man who nearly destroyed the lives of those close to him. His first wife woke scream from the nightmares 50 years after their divorce and she escaped shortly after they were married. His other two wives and 4 remaining children weren't as lucky. Our mother's never fully recovered from what he did them. His children have spent decades trying to find a fragile peace and some true happiness. We'll never be free of what it did to us completely.My dream was to have my half-siblings and I to get together again and it took 4 decades of healing for both of us to do that. As long as any of his victims are still living I can not have our family publically available where it might be found and permenantly destroy the fragile we built. He's in my tree but I finally learn to look over him to my grandparents and their lines. If I go before they do I will leave my research with trusted family members and instructions on what to do with it. It probably would be Ancestry anyway because I don't want our future descendants to have to pay to read their own history.

Part of me feels that our family and its history doesn't belong in someone elses to begin with since our history belongs solely to us and our descendants who had to cope with parents and family members struggling their whole lives just to reach a point where they might actually talk to a stranger, hello to checkout clerk was bad enough, or leave the house. I deleted my private tree when Ancestry didn't set it up so that private trees could be viewed by matches which stunned me and a record related to our nightmare linking him to my family appeared and it showed in the hints. I had to tell two private trees I've worked a small part of the truth and prayed they'd do the right thing. Thankfully they did!

My response rate at Ancestry has been abysmal so apparently both private and public trees aren't interested in actually trying to find a common ancestor unless it's easily found. Then you're relying on Ancestry's testing which tells you your related to a common ancestor based a tree and the Genetic Genealogist proved that was wrong on at least 3 matches they identified. Take a close look at that tree before you accept a match!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
survivor25 25 Jun 2013 5:29AM GMT 
talbotrail 25 Jun 2013 5:09PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 28 Jun 2013 11:37PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions