Search for content in message boards

un married spouse

Replies: 7

Re: un married spouse

Posted: 24 Jul 2013 3:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
In the U.S., birth records weren't "officially" kept by governmental agencies until more recent times so a "certificate" of birth would probably not exist for some earlier generations of family members.

There are records, however, of what were called "bastardy" records for situations in which children were born out of wedlock. If you've heard of "bastardy bonds", the phrase applies to situations involving a child born out of wedlock. These court actions are similar to modern court filings to establish paternity except there weren't limitations as to people eligible to file such actions or people eligible to receive information about the details of the case.

If the child was born in earlier time periods, I'd check local resources for these types of records.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CharleneTaylo... 22 Jul 2013 8:55PM GMT 
warncoort1 23 Jul 2013 5:44AM GMT 
McComberdesce... 23 Jul 2013 1:41PM GMT 
bonedigger176 24 Jul 2013 9:29PM GMT 
ceilidh 23 Jul 2013 1:30PM GMT 
chi1k 23 Jul 2013 5:51PM GMT 
ceilidh 23 Jul 2013 7:17PM GMT 
Sad_Mushroom 29 Jul 2013 8:12AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic