Search for content in message boards

Frustrated with private trees WHO ARE DNA TESTED

Replies: 20

Re: Frustrated with private trees

Posted: 17 Aug 2013 6:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Yes, private trees are an old sore spot for many of us. ;)

Note that some people don't have trees because they are adopted. (Not all of the people without trees, of course, but some, and maybe even a significant number. I have so many adopted matches at the other testing companies that I wouldn't be surprised if I have 100s of adoptees among my matches here.)

At the other extreme, some people are just cray-cray. A close cousin of my father's not only made his tree private but disconnected it from his DNA results... and he's someone who's savvy enough to be on GEDmatch.com. WTH, as they say. I'm just grateful that I got to see the tree before this happened.

By the way, when you delete the private or no-tree matches, they don't really go away. You can un-delete them at any time. I used to periodically visit my deleted matches in their holding cell (tiny link at the bottom of each page of matches) to see if any were now public (happens fairly often), but Ancestry's search engine doesn't seem to include deleted matches, so I've been restoring them.

Be sure to use the feedback button to let Ancestry know that sharing with non-sharers bothers you. People have put forth all kinds of possible solutions for making both sides happy, so it's really something we need to pester Ancestry about. (Considering that we can see names of people in private trees in the regular site search, surely the DNA search and/or match list could be loosened up a little.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LittlebitA449... 17 Aug 2013 12:23PM GMT 
MissLeading 17 Aug 2013 12:33PM GMT 
Shari S. 17 Aug 2013 12:54PM GMT 
MissLeading 17 Aug 2013 2:33PM GMT 
LittlebitA449... 17 Aug 2013 2:46PM GMT 
RobinBMc 17 Aug 2013 5:51PM GMT 
LittlebitA449... 17 Aug 2013 8:08PM GMT 
dedted29 17 Aug 2013 9:08PM GMT 
jwardh 18 Aug 2013 1:25PM GMT 
LittlebitA449... 18 Aug 2013 2:38PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions