Search for content in message boards

sharing my private tree

Replies: 24

Re: sharing my private tree

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 3:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
You are making the assumption that I don't want to share. I think I explained in a rather lengthy post my feelings and my motivation with genealogy. Perhaps you didn't understand what I wrote? I did research years before there was ancestry. And I personally use ancestry as a tool to create my own family tree histories. Ancestry is not just for you to come in and take. It's also for people(and there are plenty of us)who use the sight to form our trees, do research to add to our trees, AND have contact with others who may be researching the same family or area. Not to just take their work but to collaborate, share, make connections. That takes communication. which is exactly what doesn't happen when someone just takes every bit of information from your sight and moves on. I knows how much WORK goes into research, would never simply go to someone else's research pages(because that is what they are) and again, simply take it all without a single word. It's not about an "atta boy" it's about respecting others online. something many don't feel they need to do. If you take any calculus or physics class as you put it, in school, you don't get to just walk into a classroom and "take" all the answers out of the teachers notes or the books. You learn with someone helping you and you do the work yourself. Most people who do genealogy love to help others find their way. again, those of you who don't feel any need to share information or even acknowledge what others have done, probably feel exactly the way you are describing. I have been on the receiving and on the giving end more times that you can count. As far as sketchy data goes, those who are mindlessly copying the work of others, don't bother to check the facts as they pertain to them. Because they want it fast and easy and checking facts takes too much time. So, those are the type to then post inaccurate data. Something you should be aware of, is that family trees posted on ancestry don't come without flaws. Our trees are a work in progress, if you are lazy enough to come in and take, then you will have accept a mistake here and there. We're not here to hand feed you all the information. Real genealogy IS WORK. You have seen a few of these complaints like mine before because it is how we feel and we are allowed to feel that way. YOU cant think of a reason to keep a tree private? Then you aren't thinking at all.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
queenc723 1 Sep 2013 4:35PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 1 Sep 2013 4:59PM GMT 
McComberdesce... 1 Sep 2013 6:33PM GMT 
queenc723 3 Sep 2013 9:30AM GMT 
queenc723 3 Sep 2013 9:46AM GMT 
McComberdesce... 3 Sep 2013 12:12PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 3 Sep 2013 12:16PM GMT 
WilmaLepore 4 Sep 2013 5:08AM GMT 
damara84 4 Sep 2013 3:28PM GMT 
queenc723 4 Sep 2013 9:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions