Search for content in message boards

sharing my private tree

Replies: 24

sharing my private tree

Posted: 1 Sep 2013 10:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
After years of having a public tree, which I gladly shared with anyone I came into contact with, I have made my tree private. Sadly, the years I enjoyed meeting new people who shared this interest in history and genealogy and all the sharing back and forth of knowledge was ruined for me. I like many of you, I have been doing family research for 30yrs or more. That's 30 years of trips to the library, or to the local courthouse, pouring over microfilm, painstaking reading of local histories, hours and days and weeks, months and years of straining my eyes over poorly written or faded court documents, etc. Not to mention the trips taken to other cities and states, to pour over the same there. Most of this was done before internet records and their easy access. I loved the research and really loved it when, after years of looking I would find a clue or that one elusive fact! It made the years of searching worthwhile. Meeting a distant relative was a treasure or just meeting a kindred spirit, in the same boat as me, researching their own elusive relations made the whole experience even richer. This long background I have given you is so you could understand why, for me making my tree private is so painful and goes against everything I have always loved about genealogy and the research process. I recently had someone... a distant relative come into my tree and without so much as a greeting, took all the research I had compiled. She downloaded the entire thing, facts, documentation, pictures, even little personal family nicknames, stories, memories. Things that would have had no meaning to her. Even these things for my family, that were not members of her family. She did not choose the information to compile her own family members tree, just took it all, one fell swoop. I tried contacting her, thinking we could at least make a family connection. She has ignored all overtures to communicate. She has repeatedly taken any new research I find and post on my trees. And refused to share any family information she has. Seems she is regularly checking my tree for any new information. I find this a violation. She is doing none of the work, and getting all of the hard earned rewards. Sadly she is not getting any of the joy from finding these tidbits, but that's her loss. But, I do still want to share with others who do contact me. I can't figure out how to do this and still protect my tree. I know that once information is taken it is public and can be shared with anyone. I still want to share with others and communicate with those who follow some kind of decent code in regards to getting the information they are seeking. But now that my trees are private, I don't know how to navigate the sharing of info. Can someone help me navigate how to communicate with someone who wants to see my tree? Sorry for the long post.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
queenc723 1 Sep 2013 4:35PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 1 Sep 2013 4:59PM GMT 
McComberdesce... 1 Sep 2013 6:33PM GMT 
queenc723 3 Sep 2013 9:30AM GMT 
queenc723 3 Sep 2013 9:46AM GMT 
McComberdesce... 3 Sep 2013 12:12PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 3 Sep 2013 12:16PM GMT 
WilmaLepore 4 Sep 2013 5:08AM GMT 
damara84 4 Sep 2013 3:28PM GMT 
queenc723 4 Sep 2013 9:10PM GMT 
per page