Search for content in message boards

Identity Fraud/Theft

Replies: 19

Re: Identity Fraud/Theft

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 4:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Many thanks for such a helpful and prompt reply! I didn't know that there was a time lag where making information private was concerned, so that's helpful to know.

I still regard myself as a novice re. family history research, so can appreciate that it might be a "clueless" person behind this, and we've all got to learn from our mistakes (I've certainly been led astray by records at times). The person concerned has posted family photos in his Facebook messages so he probably does think there's a genuine connection, but I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't putting my family at risk.

Re. Facebook: you can control what others see on your timeline/home page, and can change settings for posts, photo albums, etc, if you don't want information to be available to everyone. This contact was made in a private message, however, which I felt obliged to open and read. The person concerned had been searching for me after looking at a surname-type genealogy site and Facebook seemed his best way of finding me (well, it worked!). I'm going to take things very carefully.

Thanks again for your help.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jinniesinglet... 1 Oct 2013 11:45PM GMT 
McComberdesce... 2 Oct 2013 12:26AM GMT 
ludlowbaylive 2 Oct 2013 1:41AM GMT 
jinniesinglet... 2 Oct 2013 10:21AM GMT 
adamsfamily1 3 Oct 2013 8:41PM GMT 
jinniesinglet... 3 Oct 2013 9:09PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 5 Oct 2013 11:15PM GMT 
jinniesinglet... 6 Oct 2013 7:39PM GMT 
deeflint01 27 Nov 2013 8:21PM GMT 
jinniesinglet... 2 Oct 2013 10:16AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions