Search for content in message boards

Too Easy

Replies: 1
Posted: 4 Feb 2014 12:57PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
After a break of about 7 years I'm back on Ancestry and delighted to see the new tools to make it much easier to add relatives and all their info. However in the last 2 days I have spotted loads of errors in other trees where it looks as though they share a relative with me. It doesn't take long to discover that they have not done thorough research and tagged large parts of my tree onto theirs when by delving a little deeper into the records than just name and rough date of birth they would realise that they are looking at completely the wrong person. For example my husbands French family who lived and died in France apparently according to 2 American trees show the family living in the USA and dying in France. They have just taken one name assumed it was the same as their relative and added all the other names to their tree. Another error I've noticed this evening is several UK families adding the wrong parents to their tree because the child had the same name. It is vital people check actual birth and marriage certificates, which do come at a cost to be certain they have the right people. So for anyone new to this, please do not trust other trees, use it as a guide only to which direction to go in and do not add information you are not 100% sure about.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
julie leseure 4 Feb 2014 7:57PM GMT 
Jerry Stevens 12 Feb 2014 3:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic