Search for content in message boards

Public Member Trees Are A Joke

Replies: 13

Public Member Trees Are A Joke

Posted: 12 Feb 2014 7:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'll be the villain here I'm sure. and don't care, but can't stand it any longer.

Let's face it, the Ancestry Public Member Trees are nothing but one big joke on the online genworld and why Ancestry doesn't do something to redo it and clean it up and get serious with what could be a good feature is beyond me.
Unless Ancestry just doesn't care about the feature, and the seriousness of online family trees. Public Member Trees it appears is nothing but a gimmick to attract the weekend warriors, the drive by, genealogy wannabes. What a shame, it all hinges on the almighty $ for Ancestry I suppose :(

Almost every Public Member Tree I come across is filled with dupes, trips, uber multiple entries and the driveby gengeek doesn't have a clue that he/she has imported so many duplicate so many times and never delete the bad.
For those with Public Trees start with the A's in your index and go page by page to th Z's and check your dupes. You might be surprised.

When I first see a Public Tree filled with the colorful frilly doodads of pretty phony family crests, shields, flags and, of course, the castles I know what is a'coming. I am about to see one big joke of an online family tree and Ancestry is doing nothing for online genealogy by enabling these weekenders by making it so easy for them to get started off right. I suppose as long as the weekenders $$ubscribe, that is what it is really all about. And folks wonder why online genealogy has a bad name. Thanks Ancestry.

The "Hints", whatever they are,, give me a break. Please do away with the hints so folks can do real research. Ancestry's Hints, whatever they are, aint the gospel folks, it still takes common sense to do it right. Even halfway right.
Take more pride with what you put online for others to see. After all this is your family, and others families. and your work with you signature on it. Embarrass yourself with the sloppy stuff somewhere else,, just refrain, or just quit embarrassing your ancestors, and mine, with your lazy ways.

How sad to see what could have been a good thing get so fouled up with nary a thing to be done about it.

So shoot me.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jerry Stevens 12 Feb 2014 2:13PM GMT 
barbarajfn 12 Feb 2014 7:58PM GMT 
jojensagain 13 Feb 2014 12:10AM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 13 Feb 2014 12:21AM GMT 
Jerry Stevens 13 Feb 2014 2:10AM GMT 
barbarajfn 13 Feb 2014 3:22AM GMT 
Jerry Stevens 13 Feb 2014 4:01AM GMT 
mbmjlm 13 Feb 2014 4:55AM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 13 Feb 2014 4:02AM GMT 
jojensagain 13 Feb 2014 6:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions