Search for content in message boards

Protocol to synchronise ancestry tree with FTM

Replies: 2

Protocol to synchronise ancestry tree with FTM

Posted: 14 Feb 2014 11:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
I believe it is possible to sync the database in one's ancestry tree with FTM - which is fine if you use FTM.

As a software developer I many years ago wrote my own program which has many features I have not found in other programs - I have no intention of changing. I can export standard GEDCOM & use this to upload to ancestry. Unfortunately, every time I enhance/expand/correct my database, I have to delete my old ancestry tree & upload a new GEDCOM - which means it is not practical to upload attachments, etc., as I'd have to repeat this every time. Similarly, there is no point in flagging hints, etc., as it is always lost when I replace the GEDCOM.

I have asked ancestry if they would consider adding a GEDCM update feature - but whilst I got a pleasant enough reply, there was no commitment to this.

So, the other alternate is for me to implement the FTM sync protocol in my own program - for this I need a spec.

I'm guessing ancestry don't publish one?

Does anyone have any wireshark captures of the process, and/or (better still) a wireshark dissector for the protocol?

I know it's a long shot, but ultimately all I'm trying to do is find a way that allows me to attach items to my ancestry tree that others would find useful, without me having to repeat the exercise over & over.

(Given what is it trying to do, I imagine this protocol is probably quite simpy, but without some sort of spec I don't know where to start).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
genius155 15 Feb 2014 6:20AM GMT 
McComberdesce... 16 Feb 2014 1:54PM GMT 
sageflat 16 Feb 2014 10:02PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions