Search for content in message boards

Strategies for sharing on Ancestry.com

Replies: 0

Strategies for sharing on Ancestry.com

Posted: 28 Jul 2014 7:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
My family and extended family both have completed extensive research and data collection. I can see now that we are missing data, and that data in other personal trees are inaccurate.

Our single biggest concern is sorting through all my family's records, against other data on ancestry.com and other sites while we still have relatives living that remember how this data was collected and can sort out inaccuracies before we start looking at our brick walls.

What strategies do you use to keep data synchronized and shared between contributors? I have family members on both sides of my parent's families that I'd trust to "edit" or contribute to one tree. On Ancestry.com, does it work better if every participant has their own trees?

I see that you can "copy" and "merge" people, data, references, documents and photos from other trees to your own. Is it even possible for a family to collaborate on a single electronic tree?

For those who have desktop software, where do you keep your authoritative source? Ancestry.com? Desktop geneology software? I realize that even with Familytreemaker, which I have among others, that not everything syncs incredibly well between the cloud and the desktop.

Forgive me if this has been covered before. I couldn't find a post that covered methods and approaches, but I'm unfamiliar with the parlance for genealogy.

Thank you

Find a board about a specific topic