Search for content in message boards

stolen photos

Replies: 90

Re: stolen photos

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 6:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Webb, McFadden, McCurdy, Hill, Crawford
I wouldn't dream of asking permission for something when I already HAVE that permission. That seems unctuous to me.

What will you do if someone says, "no, you can't have my publicly posted picture?" when that person has no right under Ancestry's T&C to withhold it. I'm not a lawyer, but this is simple contract law, no?

If someone has uploaded to Ancestry a copyrighted photo from a third-party website, THAT can be addressed because it clearly violates Ancestry's T&C if the copyright holder has not granted permission.

By the way, it makes no sense to compare "Miranda warnings" [criminal law] to Ancestry's T&C [contract law].....apples and oranges. That much I learned from sharing dormitory space with law school students. ;-)

I like to write a public thank-you comment to the effect of "thank you for being kind enough to upload this photo and make it available to others; it gives me a real sense of my ancestors," etc. Usually I also like to say things like "your ancestor was a handsome man" [if I can say that without crossing my fingers behind my back - lol!] and other such observations.

This seems straightforward to me. I have not yet had any complaints, but then again I'm always certain to affix the image to the correct identity. Wouldn't want great-great grand-father the candlestick-maker wrongly identified as a horse thief. OR VICE VERSA. ;-)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mbmjlm 11 Oct 2012 11:21PM GMT 
danders0n 9 Jun 2013 4:32PM GMT 
danders0n 9 Jun 2013 4:31PM GMT 
Jj Breen 9 Jun 2013 11:28PM GMT 
ryleen1 10 Jun 2013 12:43AM GMT 
Jj Breen 10 Jun 2013 1:23AM GMT 
ryleen1 10 Jun 2013 9:38AM GMT 
Jj Breen 10 Jun 2013 5:48PM GMT 
rum2001 11 Jun 2013 4:34AM GMT 
ryleen1 11 Jun 2013 9:24AM GMT 
per page