Search for content in message boards

new to this

Replies: 2

Re: new to this

Posted: 13 May 2011 2:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
This particular message thread is for people to tell how they found their family, not for getting advice on
learning to research.

However, since you asked.

First and foremost, get some type of genealogy program for your computer. There are some that are free and some that cost a few bucks. Do some online searching to find the best one for you. I have used Familytreemaker since the beginning of my research about 13 years ago. Some of these can be downloaded. After you get a program installed on your own computer, start with yourself and what you know. Then add your grandparents, great grandparents and so on as far back as you are sure of the information. If you are a
young person and your parents were born after 1930, you
will not find them in the census since the census as of
now stops at 1930. Sometime next year the 1940 census
will be available. Because of a federal law, the census
must be held for 72 years before being released. If you
know your grandparents names and they were in the US before
1930 you should be able to find them in the census records.
After you get a couple of generations on your own program
then start looking for other things. My e mail address is
mbmjlm22@aol.com should you wish to contact me for further
information. One note of caution, if you wish to make use
of the Ancestry member tree, start the same way. But do
not, I repeat, do not use any hints there by selecting them
by checking the box and incorporating them into your tree. This way will lead to JUNKOLOGY. Most trees created that way were created the same way by just selecting hints and incorporating them into their trees and so on and so forth until they have a big mess. It is perfectly alright to look at the various hints from the various trees for leads. You may want to make contact via the ancestry message system. I do that frequently. Most of the time though you will find that the person you contacted just selected the hints from another persons tree and does not have any real information for you. Just take it easy and do not hurry. Genealogy research takes time and patience.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DavidRondeau1... 13 May 2011 4:27PM GMT 
mbmjlm 13 May 2011 8:47PM GMT 
fhsleuth 25 May 2011 5:50AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic