Search for content in message boards

Kenmore Roman Catholic Cemetry Goulburn NSW

Replies: 9

Re: Kenmore Roman Catholic Cemetry Goulburn NSW

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 11:55PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Burke
Hi Cathy,

I'm in Sydney suburbs and live about 2 hours from Goulburn, so I rang the local Council (who now controls the Cemetry) and they emailed me a plan of where Patrick Burke was buried (lot No. 1914).

We visited the Cemetry on Sunday, but despite trying to follow the map, found that it was in a VERY bad state, with most of the headstones having been smashed and destroyed.
We attempted to walk up and down the "rows", but spent most of the time stepping over broken headstones, which were totally unable to be read. Don't get me wrong, there were some of the old ones still intact, but I'm afraid to say I couldn't find Patrick's.

(There were no numbers on the rows, & no numbers on grave-sites, and really it was impossible to tell where anybody was buried). A real shame and very sad to see what's happened there. I was very disappointed, and couldn't find "our" fellow either.

I'm attaching a copy of the plan (NOT that I found it was much help), and also some "general" photos I took of the cemetry. His grave is NOT where the green mark is on the plan but in the section below the mark - second row from the top of that section - between 1928 ...1901.

The lady at the Council told me that there was an item (death notice/obituary etc) in the Goulburn Evening Penny Post on 8 March 1929 for Patrick BOURKE, and she advised that The Goulburn Evening Penny Post and Goulburn Herald newspapers should be on-line (www.trove.nla.gov.au) by mid-year this year. (Old Austrlian Newspapers are gradually being added to this site).

Sorry I got your hopes up, but as it turned out I wasn't much help Im afraid. However, I hope the little bit I've attached may suffice till you can see the newspapers later in the year.

Kindest regards,
Patricia.
PS I've had trouble sending the attachments - will try again one at a time.

Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
smithycw 13 Aug 2012 8:11PM GMT 
bradenfamily_... 30 Jan 2013 2:24PM GMT 
smithycw 5 Feb 2013 9:54PM GMT 
bradenfamily_... 6 Feb 2013 6:55AM GMT 
bradenfamily_... 6 Feb 2013 7:49AM GMT 
smithycw 6 Feb 2013 10:10PM GMT 
bradenfamily_... 7 Feb 2013 10:33AM GMT 
smithycw 15 Feb 2013 7:16PM GMT 
bradenfamily_... 15 Feb 2013 10:11PM GMT 
bradenfamily_... 6 Feb 2013 7:52AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions