This is the reply from the Senior Archivist at the SCHS in Charleston:
According to a book written by Yvette Richardson Guy and published in 1991 (SCHS call # 237.G89T751991), a committee was formed in 1959 to begin the process of removing old headstones from the Hasell/Maiden graveyard. In 1963, Rev. Joel E. Cannon presided over a special meeting of the Quarterly Conference and passed the following resolution:
“RESOLVED: that the Trustees of Trinity United Methodist Church be directed to abandon the old graveyard on Hasell street and Maiden Lane in which there have been no burials in about 50 years, and that the grave stones and monuments be removed from the lot and those in good condition be placed under Trinity Church Building or on the grounds there, and that the broken stones be disposed of . . . “
The church proceeded to sell that property to a Robert E. Molony in 1963.
According to Guy, “there are no records referring to the fate of any human remains in the cemetery. However, David S. Spell, a member of the committee dealing with the old cemetery, recalled that the SC Health Department conducted test drills on the burial sites and no remains were found. The state concluded that the bodies had decomposed completely.”