Search for content in message boards

One Person, Two Graves

Replies: 1

One Person, Two Graves

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 11:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pope
I'm a bit confused. It appears that there may be two graves for my grandfather - one in Marengo County, AL and one in Chambers, AL. The headstones on both graves give his name and the exact same date of birth, but the headstone in Marengo gives his date of death as being nearly one month after his actual (recorded) date of death.

My grandfather's name was Windell Douglas Pope (b.08 Oct 1920; d. 09 Feb 1973). In Chambers, AL (where he died), his headstone is next to the headstone of his second wife, Juanita Pope. In Marengo, AL, his headstone is located near his father's headstone, Marion Colie Pope.

I'm only able to speculate that he was actually buried in Chambers, AL and that nearly a month later a headstone was placed in the Marengo cemetery as sort of a memorial since most of his ancestors are also buried in that same Marengo cemetery.

Does anyone know who to talk to in order to find out more exactly what has happened here?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Roy Pope 14 Jul 2012 5:52PM GMT 
ANONY33 14 Jul 2012 8:31PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions