Search for content in message boards

Suggestions for finding what happened to the cremated remains of my Grandfather in CA

Replies: 6

Re: Suggestions for finding what happened to the cremated remains of my Grandfather in CA

Posted: 8 Aug 2013 11:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Aug 2013 11:16PM GMT
It's been a couple of years and you've posted no update, so I'll assume you're still looking. A couple of thoughts.

(1) Where are HIS parents buried? Occasionally ashes were sent home and cremation was a way to lower the cost of it. I know it says "buried in Los Angeles" but plans sometimes change, and 1937 was during the Depression. He may be an added burial in a lot already owned by the family.

(2) Have you accounted for burial places of all of the children? Especially if a child died young, an adult parent could have been interred with them. This could be at a prior residence.

(3) Ditto with siblings &c. Sometimes a brother or sister, aunt or uncle will extend right of burial to a deceased sibling in a family lot. Find where all of his close relatives were buried. Use the 1940 census to help you here.

I wish you luck in your search. I looked for my own great-great aunt for close to thirty years, then found her by surprise...cremains buried, unmarked, with a son I'd never known she'd had, in the largest old cemetery in my own home town. It can happen!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
brian503a 5 Sep 2011 6:51AM GMT 
tmiseroy 14 Sep 2011 10:37PM GMT 
brian503a 16 Sep 2011 9:15PM GMT 
paulnetland 3 Oct 2011 6:07AM GMT 
brian503a 3 Oct 2011 8:11PM GMT 
DecMay 16 Oct 2013 3:19AM GMT 
genehisthome 9 Aug 2013 5:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic