Search for content in message boards

Suggestions for finding what happened to the cremated remains of my Grandfather in CA

Replies: 6

Suggestions for finding what happened to the cremated remains of my Grandfather in CA

Posted: 5 Sep 2011 12:51AM GMT
Classification: Death
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is a possibility I can find out what happened to the cremated remains of my Grandfather who died in 1937 in Los Angeles, CA. No one in my family seems to have any idea what happened to him. My Uncle is the only living person who is still around when his dad (my Grandfather) was alive, but he doesn't even know what they did with his remains after the funeral. To his knowledge he didn't believe his ashes were scattered anywhere (e.g.,burial at sea). I did check a few cemeteries in the area around where he died but there were no records they had him.

I did manage to get a copy of his death certificate and obituary, but they didn't give me enough information to track him down. The obituary mentioned his burial was in Los Angeles, and nothing specific to where though. I know he was cremated at Pacific Crest in Redondo Beach, CA, and Hammond-Mispagel & Ruppe Mortuary at 3517 Hyde Park Blvd in Inglewood, CA handled the funeral. However the mortuary is no longer in business. I did call Pacific Crest and they still had records of the cremation available, but there was no burial information given to them. It appears he may have been sent back to the mortuary.

Other then calling cemeteries I have no idea what else I can do. I realize I may never get an answer but at least I like to try to find out something if possible. Is there anywhere else I can look for information? If his cremated remains were put in a cemetery, which ones in LA county would be the best places to look? I checked Inglewood and Evergreen already since they are close to where he lived and died. I would appreciate any help or feedback. Thanks!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
brian503a 5 Sep 2011 6:51AM GMT 
tmiseroy 14 Sep 2011 10:37PM GMT 
brian503a 16 Sep 2011 9:15PM GMT 
paulnetland 3 Oct 2011 6:07AM GMT 
brian503a 3 Oct 2011 8:11PM GMT 
DecMay 16 Oct 2013 3:19AM GMT 
genehisthome 9 Aug 2013 5:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic