Search for content in message boards

Cemeteries in or near Hettinger, Adams Co., ND

Replies: 1

Re: Cemeteries in or near Hettinger, Adams Co., ND

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 1:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
If you have the two cities where you think he might have died google libraries in Hettinger ND and Gillstrap. I doubt Gillstrap has a library as I have never heard of it, but google the nearest larger cities to Gillstrap, especially the county seat(gov't offices). Those areas were very rural in 1909 so also try the Bismarck and Minot public libraries for old obituary indexes. They might have them by county. If you live in ND, go there or just call the main librarian and explain your plight. The libraries should have an obit index, cross referenced by name and cemetery. I used this method to find ancestral graves for my friend, and all she had was the names, county where they lived, and roughly the year died. It took me less than 15 minutes to get copies of the obituaries and location of the cemeteries of more than 6 of her relatives in the eastern ND area. The next best method would be to contact Catholic and Lutheran churches in those towns and tell them what you are looking for. Most pioneers in ND were Catholic or Lutheran, and the churches would know the exact locations of 100 yr old cemeteries and might even know who is buried in each. It sounds like he might have moved to Edmonton which is why he is not in the census, so if you don't have luck, do the same search up there. Edmonton is much larger than Hettinger though.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bonjonwalsh 2 Oct 2012 10:37PM GMT 
mjkoponen 16 Jan 2013 8:31PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic