Search for content in message boards

Holy Sepulchre - Philadelphia

Replies: 15

Re: Holy Sepulchre - Philadelphia

Posted: 24 Jun 2010 9:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi...it has been ages since I posted this so I am not exactly sure what my original "post to the ozone" was. I can fathom a guess...

The obit, I know, I got from the Inquirer data base on Genealogybank.com. That only covers 1860's-1924 or so. The later ones (1890's-1924) are indexed as obits or mortuary notices. Early stuff was not indexed and often simply plunked into the paper where there was a spot.

If you have a date of death, and the death occurred in Philly or the body was transported through Philly for burial, then often there was paperwork filed. See FamilysearchLabs.com for Philadelphia Death Records - they run until about 1915. They used to have the original images online but they were recently taken down. I suspect it has to do with the fact that after 1906, the state death certificate is what the city had on file and the state asks you to pay for those, so they were none too happy that Familysearch was giving them away for free... Still, the available transcriptions of the data may be of help.

Also, if you have a date of death, you can ask the folks at the Philly free library's EREF desk to do a lookup for you. They have raised their fee from $1 to $10 a pop, so it is not cheap but can be helpful.

A full listing of burials at Holy Sep. can be found at the Montco Historical Society in Norristown. I totally agree about the lady at Holy Sep. In my experiences with her, she was complete pill.

Never underestimate what you can dig up online...I am amazed at how many cemeteries provide online data bases or folks have done transcriptions.

If I missed something, write back and I'll try to answer.

Joann
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BillRowan73 24 Jun 2010 2:52AM GMT 
cts166 24 Jun 2010 3:13PM GMT 
chelle12345 14 Jun 2008 10:25AM GMT 
Missy_Pettina... 6 Sep 2012 6:59PM GMT 
chelle12345 7 Sep 2012 12:27AM GMT 
familyinfo101 21 Jul 2008 1:47AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions