Search for content in message boards

Harrington burials, St Marys Irish Cemetery Luzerne PA

Replies: 1

Re: Harrington burials, St Marys Irish Cemetery Luzerne PA

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 9:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm sorry but I cannot look up these burials for you, yet I can direct you to some resources. If you are referring to St. Mary's Immaculate Conception Church, on Washington Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA. then you will find that there cemetery is located in Hanover Township, on St. Mary's Road then this is the references I have for you. If you look up online the Osterhout Library, located on South Franklin Street in Wilkes-Barre, you can submit a request to a librarian there. They have a book series on St. Mary's Immaculate Conception Cemetery, initially known as the Hanover Cemetery. A group of people walked the cemetery taking photo's of it and documenting as they went through it, as a result they have a few volumes of burials in this cemetery. When emailing your inquiry to the librarian let them know of this reference. The Librarian should be able to look that information up for you and let you know if they found anything. They also have old newspapers on microfilm, and they have the Sunday Independent Newspaper online. Another way that you can inquiry about the burials there is by contacting the cemetery itself, there office is in the cemetery, I believe one of the sextons name was Richard Baron, but I am not sure at this time as I am going by memory. It is a very large cemetery, I have decedent's that are buried there, and in the past I have inquired about their burials, I was told by the cemetery that they did not have any burial records from the 1940's and back, however they do have information prior to that date on family plots that were purchased, so it's key to ask for records before that time frame as owners of burial plots to help you find buried family members, however that doesn't always help the sexton's at the cemetery to find the records. I found if I ask about a burial before 1940 that they would then say that they had no records, so it's important to ask for purchases of burial plots there, in order to get them to look up the burial information, weird but true. I also want to let you know that online there is a website that has online newspapers that covers many states, and they so happen to cover Luzerne County, PA. The name of the website is Genealogybank.com, they do charge for this service however, but I find it very helpful in finding family, the downside to this is that they are limited in what years that they house. One more thing there is also a Luzerne County Historical Society that houses allot of records they are also online and you can send your inquiry there. I am a Genealogical Researcher and have done many searches for previous clients in the past and I live in the Wilkes-Barre Area, for the past year I have been on a leave of absence. I hope my information was of help too you.

Mary
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
katrinacoopey 7 Jul 2011 6:29PM GMT 
emmett1955 20 Aug 2012 3:54AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions