Search for content in message boards

Dealing with Problems at Washington State Cemetery?

Replies: 6

Dealing with Problems at Washington State Cemetery?

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 7:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hope this is a question that is allowed to be addressed on this board.

We recently visited Mountain View Cemetery, Walla Walla, Walla Walla County,Washington, where several members of my husband's family are buried. We visit annually, but had never actually located his GG Grandmother and her husband (even though it was just a short way from the other family) until this most recent visit.

We were surprised to find that a rather new tree had been planted about 2 feet or less from the headstone, appearing to be in the middle of their actual burial ground. Of course, this troubled us and on Monday my husband called the City of Walla Walla who is responsible for the care of the cemetery.

The supervisor was rather irritated that my husband wants the tree moved. She says her concern is for the welfare of the tree and that she doesn't really want to move it (an Elm tree no less)until dormant season and she really doesn't know where to move it -- as if that is our problem. My husband said he didn't really care as long as it was away from his GG parents burial site. She said, if she had to move it over, then she would have to get permission from the family of the other site owners, although she never contacted our family members. She said the tree was there last year and we never complained. We never complained because we couldn't find the site last year.

Before you ask...I did trace records of GG Grandma's burial and I do have those records. She was originally buried in Sunnyside right after her death and she was not cremated. She was then moved to Walla Walla where she was buried near her 2nd husband (a little over 10 years after her death).

My question...what to do? In our opinion, this is just disrespectful. We want to find meaningful resolve, and I think for us that means a specific date in writing as to when this tree will be moved. Suggestions?

Sharon

Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sharon Coughl... 23 Jun 2010 1:46PM GMT 
ancbrown1 14 Jul 2010 8:46PM GMT 
Sharon Coughl... 14 Jul 2010 9:20PM GMT 
fkfuller 21 Jan 2011 2:12AM GMT 
Sharon Coughl... 26 Jan 2011 11:38PM GMT 
MajorWilliams... 21 Apr 2013 12:12PM GMT 
Sharon Coughl... 21 Apr 2013 1:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions