Search for content in message boards

George Hendry 1842 & family, census confusion

Replies: 0

George Hendry 1842 & family, census confusion

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 10:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
George Hendry b; 1842, Scotland & wife Mary b; 1846, Liverpool were my second Great Grandparents on my fathers side but I'm finding it difficult to get any information about them and hope someone can help.

I know the 1891 census I have is correct because when his daughter Janet (my G/Grandmother) married Hans Sofhus Bernhard Hausen (a Mariner) on 2 Oct 1891 her address was 26 Leyden Street, Kirkdale, Liverpool which is the address she was living at on the census in April of that year & both pieces of info give her fathers name as George, a Cooper.
By 1901, when my grandfather was born, Hans had become Henry Bernard Hansen, occupation still the same but written as Seaman Merchant Service. My grandfather was born at 81 Ruskin Street, Kirkdale, same address as Mary Hendry (informant & present at birth) gives as hers.
I've looked up that address on the 1901 census but another family are there. It's possible house numbers changed as I've found that in other areas.

By 1911 neither the Hendrys or the Hansens can be found. I've tried various spellings and immigration/emigration.

I think I might have found a marriage for Janets brother William who was also a Seaman. But not definite about that. Right year of birth and the only one in area in 1911 that fits but occupation Dock worker. Could be right as he and wife have 2 young children so he might have taken land based job when he married.

The other census results that came up are for a George Hendry in 1881, wife Bridget. Childrens names/DOB's same or similar.

Discrepencies between census results I have looked at; Janet 1891 census born Liverpool but on 1901 she has herself as born Scotland.
Both George's are Coopers and have children with same names born same or similar years. Difference between husband & wifes age is 4 years for both Mary & Bridget.
I wondered if Mary and Bridget were same person.

Have only found one poss marriage 1869 to a Bridget Matthews (some other trees on Ancestry have this also).
The more I look at these census returns the more I think they are the same family.

Handwriting on 1881 atrocious so think the name Talon could actually be John, though there is a Catherine there who doesn't appear with family in 1891. There is a poss match working as a servant in Bootle and a marriage in 1895 showing her father as George, a Cooper and mother Bridget.

Have found George & Bridget on 1901, George still Cooper but at this time no children at home.
If they are the same family why is it Bridget on the 1881 & 1901 census returns and in the middle, 1891 Mary?

Appreciate any help.

Regards
Bernadette Mahoney

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions