Search for content in message boards

Families showing up more than once?

Replies: 4

Re: Families showing up more than once?

Chris Dunham (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2005 7:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've run into this phenomenon a few times myself. More often I find a single individual counted twice--e.g. once with his own family, and once with the family to which he was hired out as a laborer.

Were both families enumerated by the same censustaker? It would seem unlikely that someone would forget interviewing and enumerating a family, and repeat the process a day or so later. Perhaps there were two censustakers in the area, and one strayed into a ward where he didn't belong. The family might have been so nervous about having a "government official" in their home that they failed to mention the previous visit. Or perhaps they just chalked it up to bureaucracy.

Since the two enumerations don't quite match and are only two pages apart, perhaps the censustaker was the same, but the informant was different in each case. A husband and wife might give different accounts of their family (I would guess the wife's would be more accurate).

It would be interesting to collect instances of double-enumerations, and figure out how they occurred, compare for accuracy, look for regional trends, urban vs. rural, etc.

Chris Dunham
htp://genealogue.blogspot.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
da400king2005 18 Jul 2005 6:27AM GMT 
Chris Dunham 27 Jul 2005 1:26AM GMT 
da400king1 27 Jul 2005 3:14AM GMT 
Chris Dunham 27 Jul 2005 3:59AM GMT 
Trok14 16 Aug 2005 4:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic