Search for content in message boards

RUBERTON in the 1880 census - Help finding Italians?

Replies: 0

RUBERTON in the 1880 census - Help finding Italians?

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 7:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Dec 2012 5:51PM GMT
Surnames: Rubertone
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a record for my Italian ancestors who migrated to the US in 1873. They spent some years in New York before moving to Hammonton, NJ (where they are present on the 1885 NJ census), possibly stopping in Philadelphia first. My problem is that I can't find them anywhere in the 1880 census (I have manually searched the whole entry for Hammonton, and I think they were probably in New York at the time).

What worries me is that, apart from the commonly misspelled surnames and bad handwriting, there seem to be lots of pages of nameless laborers listed as 'An Italian'!

Anyway, if anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Their names were Michele Arcangelo Rubertone (born 1828), and his sons Gerardo Antonio (AKA 'John', born 1858), Egidio Donato (AKA 'James', born 1860), and Rocco Giuseppe Antonio (AKA 'Joseph', born 1863). Michele's wife and other family didn't come join them until later, so it should have been the four of them living and working together at the time, possibly with some friends.

Apart from that, I'd really appreciate any general tips about finding Italians in this census.

Thanks very much!
Mark

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions