Search for content in message boards

ISAAC (IKEY) SOLOMON

Replies: 54

Re: ISAAC (IKEY) SOLOMON

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 1:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Nov 2013 8:16PM GMT
Hi Sonya. David Solomon married Sophia Christinia Rayner on 7th October 1837 at New Norfolk. It says on my copy of the certificate that it was "with the consent of father" and the marriage was witnessed by W Rayner (almost certainly her father, William) and by Eliza Rayner, whom I have been advised was most likely her older sister Eliza). According to Judith Sackville O'Donnell who wrote the very well researched history of Ikey's life - "The First Fagin - the true story of Ikey Solomon" the marriage took place on 7th October 1835 - which was a misprint. Judith's research revealed there had been lots of fallings out in the Solomon family, including between Ikey and his wife Anne (Hannah) and it is not known if Ikey was at David's wedding, although it would be nice to think he was. Anne Solomon might have even been living with another man at that stage. The film you mentioned is based on Judith's book and I am looking forward to seeing it too - hope it gets to WA! There's a lot of detail in the book and it might give you some details about places where people lived, I can't remember off hand. David Solomon died aged 42, on 21st August 1860 "at his residence in Longford" (death notice, Hobart Mercury, 21st September 1860). David spent part of his childhood in the Queens Orphan School at Newtown, along with a couple of his siblings (check out the website of the Friends of the Queens Orphan Schools). My great grandmother Alice Maud Solomon was born in 1864 at Deddington where her father, William Augustus Solomon was the innkeeper at that time. The families were all large so there must be heaps of us related to Ikey in Tasmania - and to the descendents of Ikey's two older sons who were in Melbourne and Sydney. I harbour a secret desire to organise a family reunion of Ikey's descendents :) It would be fun. Wendy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
status1000 5 Aug 2009 11:22PM GMT 
LathamTippera... 16 Oct 2012 12:08PM GMT 
Sonya Turner 18 Nov 2012 7:47AM GMT 
LathamTippera... 18 Nov 2012 8:54AM GMT 
tarburtons1 19 Sep 2013 12:18PM GMT 
LathamTippera... 4 Nov 2013 10:30AM GMT 
tarburtons1 5 Nov 2013 12:04AM GMT 
LathamTippera... 5 Nov 2013 4:15AM GMT 
tarburtons1 5 Nov 2013 10:35AM GMT 
Sonya Turner 5 Nov 2013 7:37PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions