Search for content in message boards

Payne Jones

Replies: 2

Payne Jones

Posted: 16 Jul 2005 12:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Jan 2007 4:02PM GMT
Surnames: Payne, Jones, Wa(l)ters, Hughes
Today, I was told the most awesome story I have ever heard about my very own family!

I am writing you, in hopes that you can help me in this matter.

A cousin called me after I had placed an article in our local Archives Journal. She told the most amazing story that I will try to relate to you here.

My Great Grandfather's name was George William Payne (allegedly) born December 15, 1855 in Alabama.
As he had gotten older, and had children with Ms. Sarah Wa(l)ters, one of his sons became interested in a girl that "may have been kin" to him.
This, along with the fact that Frank and Jesse (James) had stayed with George and Sarah on occasion, brought about George having to "fess up" to his past.

As he told the story, his name was actually Payne Jones!
He rode with Frank and Jesse and was actually born in Missouri, not Alabama.

Many was the time that George was angered and he was known to pull pistols often.
He was not married when he came to Lawrence Co., TN. However, he may have came with siblings or other close relatives.
He also said he was a full blooded Indian.

Does any of this have any validity?

I have for many years hit a brick wall when it came to George. And like I said, he was my Great Grandfather.
If this is, in fact, true, it would certainly explain a lot of character trait displayed by many of our family.

Something else to consider ...
In that day and time, how could my Great Grandfather have known of a man by the name of Payne Jones?

Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1910 LAWRENCE CO TN
" Near West Point and Lawrenceburg Rd"
Division 15 Dist
162/165

George W. PAYNE age 55 AL/TN/AL Farmer
Sarah 47 TN/GA/TN
James D. 19 TN/AL/TN farmer labor
Mary 17 same
Lizzie 15 same

Information source: 1910 Lawrence County Census
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,
Randall B. Hughes, Member LCGS
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rnrh_1 16 Jul 2005 6:02PM GMT 
cathycormican... 13 May 2010 11:16PM GMT 
greenteech 7 Mar 2011 4:06AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic