Search for content in message boards

Jesse James In Oklahoma

Replies: 2

Jesse James In Oklahoma

Posted: 27 Apr 2010 2:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
I've heard the story all my life about my ancestors having dinner with Jesse James. They met on a train. Jesse wouldn't take their money because they were poor. My relative was so thankful, she invited him to supper. The story goes on that he came over for supper on several occasions.

This would have happened in Texas or southern Oklahoma (Indian Territory), but I don't have a year.

For the record, my family didn't think ill of Jesse James. They thought he was a good man who made bad choices. I remember being told how impressed they were with his manners - wiping his boots, standing in the presence of a lady, saying grace, etc.

The history of Fletcher, Oklahoma claims that Jesse James and his wife lived there, even started a bank account with money that was covered in dirt. The bank guessed it had been buried somewhere in the area.

Is there any truth to any of this? I started doubting the story in high school. Now that I know about my families "travels," I'm wondering if it is true.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
EmmaRileySutt... 27 Apr 2010 8:09AM GMT 
wrowen167 23 Sep 2010 10:31PM GMT 
melissamyersp 19 Apr 2012 3:27AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions