Search for content in message boards

Deputy Sheriff Frank Bateman; Harford County (Maryland) Sheriff's Office

Replies: 0

Deputy Sheriff Frank Bateman; Harford County (Maryland) Sheriff's Office

Posted: 15 May 2011 7:30AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 15 May 2011 7:32AM GMT
Surnames: Bateman, Hays
Below is an article/obituary of Deputy Sheriff Frank Bateman who was killed in the line of duty 10 June 1899. The Harford County Sheriff's Office is seeking contact with any living relatives of Deputy Sheriff Bateman. Please contact the Office of Media and Public Relations at 410-836-5403 for additional information. This is from "The Aegis and Intelligencer" [Now known as The Aegis] "Friday Morning, June 16, 1899"
A Tragedy in Bel Air
An Officer Killed While Discharging His Duty
Deputy Sheriff Bateman Shot Down By John Hays
He Kills His Slayer After Receiving His Mortal Wound
Said To Be The First White Man Ever Murdered In Bel Air
The town of Bel Air was thrown into an intense state of excitement, last Saturday evening, about seven o'clock, by the startling news that Deputy Sheriff Frank Bateman had been shot and killed by John Hays, whom he was trying to arrest for disorderly conduct. While mortally wounded Mr. Bateman drew his pistol and fired several times at Hays, two or three of the shots taking effect. Hays fell and Mr. Bateman fell upon him. The scene of the conflict was a small two story house, on the north side of Alice Ann street, which was rented by James Lee, colored, the lower front room being occupied by Hays as a sleeping room.
It appears that Hays had been on a spree for several days, and while under the influence of liquor became very noisy and disagreeable to the residents of the vicinity. The annoyance was so great that Town Bailiff Alfred T. Jones was called upon. He obtained a warrant for Hays' arrest, charging him with being drunk and disorderly. Bailiff Jones sent for Officer Bateman to assist in making the arrest. On their way the two officers arrested a negro named Anthony Bond, and the Bailiff took him to jail while Officer Bateman went alone to arrest Hays. John Smith, a friend of Hays, who had also been drinking freely, learning that the warrant had been issued, hurried to the house and told Hays of the fact, advising him to go into the house and lock the door, to prevent being taken. Hays became enraged and declared that he would kill Frank Bateman or any other man who tried to arrest him. He then went into the house and secured the door.
The officer arrived and rapped, calling upon Hays to open the door and go with him quietly, as he had a warrant for his arrest. Hays replied that he was in bed and did not intend to come out. Officer Bateman continued to persuade Hays to come out, and finding his persuasions useless he read the warrant aloud standing on the door-step. Hays called out, "I'll kill you if you don't go away from here." Smith, who was still in the yard, went up to the officer, and laying his hand upon Mr. Bateman's arm said, "Go away from here. Don't undertake to take John or he will kill you."
Bateman then sent a colored boy for Bailiff Jones to come and guard the house while he himself went for Sheriff Forsythe. He subsequently told the boy to go over to Bailiff Jones' house, which was nearly opposite the scene of the tragedy, and get an axe.
At this juncture the door was thrown open and Hays fired twice at Bateman. One ball struck the officer in the right leg, and the other in the right side of the abdomen. The latter took an upward course and severed on of the main arteries, causing internal hemorrhage and almost instant death. The officer, although mortally wounded, returned the fire, Hays being struck by two or three bullets. One wound was on the right side of the breast bone, near the third rib, and one in the lower part of the stomach. An orifice was also discovered on the left side of the back, near the floating rib, but the physicians were unable to determine whether this was made by the entrance or exit of a bullet. A bullet was extracted from beneath the skin on the side opposite this orifice.
The second and succeeding shots were almost simultaneous. Hays fell first and the brave officer fell over upon him.
Mr. T.P. Jolliffe, who was driving past the house with Capt. Thomas G. Forwood, heard the shooting and returned to the spot. He ran into the house and endeavored to place the men in comfortable positions. Officer Bateman was practically dead when Mr. Jolliffe arrived.
Medical aid was at once summoned, and Drs. E. Hall Richardson, W.B. Munnikhuysen and Frank Harvey immediately responded. Both men, however, were beyond human aid. Hays lingered in great agony until about 11:30 o'clock when he died. He became conscious soon after the affair occurred, and asked that Rev. Father Frederick, pastor of St. Ignatius Church, Hickory, be sent for. His request was complied with and the minister came. The dying man's mother, Ms. Patrick Carroll, and his sister, were also brought from their home, near Mooreland Mills, and remained with him. His body was removed to his mother's home, from which the funeral took place on Tuesday [13 June 1899] morning. The internment was made in the cemetery attached to St. Ignatius Church, Hickory, Rev. J.A. Frederick, officiated, the pall bearers being Messrs. Charles Bode, Daniel Golden, Daniel H. Carroll, John Thorn, Lawrence Whalen, and John R. Bedford. There was a very large attendance.
The body of Mr. Bateman was taken to the grand jury room in the Court House and a jury of inquest summoned, which at the request of the State's Attorney Preston, adjourned until Monday morning. During Saturday night and Sunday the awful affair was, as may be imagined, the sole topic of conversation. It was referred to in one or two of the churches, the pastor of the Presbyterian Church, to which the Bateman family belong, making special reference to it. Inquiry revealed the fact that Mr. Bateman was the first white man ever killed in Bel Air.
Justice Clifford C. Barnes, acting as coroner, summoned two juries, one to investigate Mr. Bateman's death and the other that of Hays. The two were consolidated, making a compound jury of twenty persons, as follows: John A.W. Richardson, Richard A. Barnes, James C. Young, Eugene F. Guillot, Dr. William L. Lowe, Henry G. Maynadier, C.C. Richardson, Frank E. Gorrell, William H. Baner, Charles A. McGraw, Joseph P. Wilson, P. Moores Maynadier, David Hanway, Charles Richardson, Dr. Aloysius Valentine, James Richardson, Jacob, E. Bull, John E. Colder, J.T. Lingan, and Isaac N. Peterson. The following witnesses were examined: Dr. W.B. Munnikhuysen, Dr. E. Hall Richardson, Joseph Norton, Mrs. Alfred T. Jones, Capt. Thomas G. Forwood, Samuel O. Hinkley, T.P. Jolliffe, James Peterson, James Smith, Miss Ruth Jones, John Smith and Bertie Smith, colored.
was corroborative of the statement given above, developing the fact that the first shot was fired by Hays, and that after he was shot and in a dying condition Mr. Bateman entered the room determined to arrest his man, evincing wonderful nerve and courage. The jury rendered verdicts in accordance with the facts, stating that the two men met their deaths at the hands of each other, and in Mr. Bateman's case averring that "he came to his death while in the discharge of his duty as an officer of the law."
The weapons with which the shooting was done were both shown to the jury. That of Officer Bateman was a 32-calibre Smith & Wesson, while the one used by Hays was an American bull-dog, 44 calibre, with a six-inch barrel. Three of the chambers in Officer Bateman's pistol were empty.
was one of the most widely known citizens of Harford county. He was the son of ex-Sheriff Joseph E. Bateman and was in the forty-seventh year of his age. He had been a deputy sheriff for a number of years, serving under several successive sheriffs. He was a man of large proportions, and his nerve and courage were equal to his size. He had the reputation of being one of the best officers in Harford, and had been the means of brining several noted criminals to justice. Up to the beginning of the Spanish was, he was Commissary of the First Maryland Regiment, with the rank of Captain. Always an active Democrat, he was at the time of his death a prominent candidate for sheriff. He was also constable for the third district, and it was while acting in that capacity that he came to his untimely death.
When a boy Mr. Bateman learned to set type in "The Aegis" office.
HIS FUNERAL took place on Monday [June 12, 1899] from the family residence, on Main Street, and was very largely attended. The services were conducted by Rev. K.S. Miller, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, assisted by Rev E.D. Finney pastor emeritus of the church. The pallbearers were Messrs. George Y. Maynadier, William S. Forwood Jr. Clifford G. Barnes, David Hanway, Nicholas J. Hutchins, and J. Royston Stifler. The burial was in the family lot at Rock Spring [now known as Christ Church, Rock Spring Parish] Cemetery. A special feature of the funeral was a military guard of honor in uniform, consisting of Lieutenant Colonel Charles B. McLean, Major R.C. Massenburg, Captain Thomas G. Forwood, and Lieutenant W.G. Rouse, all of the First Regiment. A large number of prominent persons from Harford and Baltimore counties were in attendance.

Find a board about a specific topic