Search for content in message boards

Sam and Thomas Edward "Black Jack" Ketchum gang

Replies: 1

Sam and Thomas Edward "Black Jack" Ketchum gang

Posted: 1 Nov 2007 4:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ketchum
If you are kin to the Thomas Edward "Black Jack" Ketchum family line, or if you are interested, in general, about the history of outlawry in the late 1800s in the American Southwest, a new book by Jeff Burton has been published by Palomino Books that is excellent. Jeff wrote the definitive book about the Ketchum gang in the 1960s and has continued to research and expand his expertise about the gang for 40 years. His latest book, THE DEADLIEST OUTLAWS, is definitely not a rewrite of the first book. It is a detailed history of the gang, and all of the various members of the gang. The book is over 500 pages in length. It tracks their entire outlaw history in great detail including their movements around the southwest, and the when, where, how of all of their crimes. Everything is backed up with literally hundreds of specific references to newspaper articles, court records, historical excerpts by contemporary writers of the time, and other sources. There are more than 50 photographs in the book. I find it an amazingly detailed and factual look into the life of the gang, and a pretty good history of 1800s law enforcement, and Southwestern life in general.

The book was published in England because the author, Jeff Burton, is a member of The English Westerners’ Society (formerly, The English Corral of the Westerners) whose charter describes it as a non­-profit making, educational organization of those whose special interest is a preservation of the historical, ethnological and cultural background and evolution of the American West. It issues publications and holds meetings; and exists to promote and assist similar activities connected with the study of the American frontier. Jeff has made many trips to the U.S. over the years to research the Ketchum outlaw gang.

Several well known outlaws who rode with other gangs (the Wild Bunch etc.) rode on occasion with the Black Jack Ketchum gang, and all of these connections are spelled out and documented in the book.

Only 100 initial copies were published, due to the costs of publishing such a relatively large book for a fairly small number of academicians, historians, libraries and genealogists interested in the detailed information contained in the book.

I am the great grandson of Sam Ketchum, but I have no financial interest in the book. I am simply relaying the information. You can purchase a copy by contacting

Jeffrey Burton
Palomino Books
58 Albert Street
Gosport
Hampshire PO124TY
England

For information about the gang, see:
http://www.hal-pc.org/~berrys

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
berrys 1 Nov 2007 10:21PM GMT 
EdisonHarris 9 Jun 2008 4:20AM GMT 
per page