Search for content in message boards

Murder in 1888-Texas

Replies: 3

Re: Murder in 1888-Texas

Posted: 1 Jun 2011 10:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Below is a 2002 post from Charles Bauch on Ancestry. Might be a lead for you.

"My grandmother was in contact with Sue Diggle about 40-some years ago helping her with the Criswell History. Ms Diggle was researching it for Pastor W.A. Criswell of First Baptist, Dallas. He is descended from one of William's younger brothers as John Y. Sr is his great-grandpa. Anyway, as a result, we received a copy of her painstaking work. It is single-spaced, on onion-skin paper, about one inch thick. It contains everything that was known at the time regarding John Y Criswell, Sr. and his family. It also includes anecdotal history regarding her findings, such as one of the cousins who moved to Llano/San Saba, Texas area was roping calves one day. As he tossed his rope and stepped off the horse to catch the calf, on of the loops settled around his neck. The calf hit the end of the rope and, as the other end was dallied around the saddle horn, it broke this cousins neck, killing him instantly.

Incidentally, My sister and mother went and found the old original cemetary where grandpa Wm was first buried, before his being moved to the State Cemetary. We lived in Fayette County, Texas at the time and located several of the burial plots of Criswells. If you've not been to the State Cemetary to view his marker, it is on a website on-line, but I forget how to get there. Probably through the State of Texas somewhere. If I discover it, I'll get it to you, unless you tell me different.

If you have any questions about something in this history, you may contact my sister, who has the copy in her possession. Her e-mail is: elmtexas@awsomenet.net
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jax3rd1 1 Jun 2011 12:47AM GMT 
jrsanders56 1 Jun 2011 2:26PM GMT 
berrys 1 Jun 2011 4:09PM GMT 
berrys 1 Jun 2011 9:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions