Search for content in message boards

Iberian Peninsula in new Ethnicity Results and relationship to Native Americans

Replies: 5

Iberian Peninsula in new Ethnicity Results and relationship to Native Americans

Posted: 10 Nov 2013 1:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Since the new Ethnicity Results appeared I have noticed Iberian Peninsula showing up a lot in my Dad's results. I mentioned this to him at lunch this week and we were all guessing where the Iberian Peninsula is located. My husband said immediately "Spain". Since we are looking for Native American I was a bit disappointed.

Last night, however, I decided to dig further into the Ethnicity Results. Imagine my surprise when I saw under "Other regions commonly seen in people native to Native American - Iberian Peninsula - 8%".

Ancestry goes on state "For those that do share some DNA with neighboring regions, about 8% of people native to this region also have at least some DNA similar to either the people from the Iberian Peninsula region-which was likely introduced by the Spanish and Portuguese explorers".

Note: The above quote was transcribed exactly as written in the ancestry ethnicity estimate. However, perhaps the "either" should have been left out (?).

At any rate, I was happy I looked deeper into the explanations by clicking on "Native American" under the Region Approximate Amount on the left-hand side of the page, or I would have missed this.

Hope this helps someone else. :)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DH_anmn8 10 Nov 2013 8:39PM GMT 
KKoshida 11 Nov 2013 7:49PM GMT 
DH_anmn8 11 Nov 2013 9:01PM GMT 
KKoshida 11 Nov 2013 9:33PM GMT 
DH_anmn8 11 Nov 2013 11:22PM GMT 
lgonzale67 24 Nov 2013 12:48AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic