Search for content in message boards

mtDNA Haplogroup I

Replies: 14

Re: mtDNA Haplogroup I

Posted: 23 May 2012 10:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Here's one more tidbit relating to the Welsh aspect of the family. I've been e-mailing back and forth with the head of a Welsh Romani family organization. Their goal is to try and track down where their families went (as we seem to wonder where ours came from).

This e-mail is a little difficult to read but it has a few pieces of info that seem to coincide with the Welsh/Scot/English that I am familiar with...

I think this should be interesting to Blevins family members also as they seem to be genetically connecting to the Evans family with increasing frequency.

March of 2012

Very interesting what you say about the Romani fokendi in your region, mm all i can tell is about the o Wesenenge Kalo - the Welsh Gypsies
The nav - or sir names are very distinct and traditional here in Cymru Wales and there are only so many. most are the same as the English Romanichal Gypsies, ie Bowell ,Lees, Hearns, Locks, Woods, Lovells, some are the same as Welsh navs such as Roberts, Evans, Griffiths due to marrying into the local Welsh communities in the late 1600s 1700s. The Sipsi Cymraeg Welsh Gyspies spoke three languages, Deep Romani, Welsh and English, they would have definately took there puro chib - deep speech with them when deported, however if nobody else rokred or spoke the tongue they would not have used it with strangers such as Gaje or Non Gypsies. Even up to the 50s the our puro chib deep tongue was spoke here however its mainly died out now. Welsh Romani was the last of the old deep Romanes to have been spoken in Europe. There are two names on your list that are Romani nav or names, Cooper and Lee. The coopers are English gypsies and the Lee,s are both, there is the Welsh Lee,s and the English Lee,s both are related anyway.

Be interesting to expore your findings if we can assist you in anyway as we know Roms were transported to Australia and the US and never seen again. The our roms were great fiddle players and i believe traditional laments and gillia was trapped for many decades in the appalacian mountains from what i here. mm

Hope to hear from you on your thoughts Shane

Best Wishes
Stef

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
clickINDIANA 2 Aug 2012 12:45PM GMT 
clickrose 23 May 2012 4:09PM GMT 
LOCKEroots 7 Aug 2012 4:37PM GMT 
clickINDIANA 7 Aug 2012 9:06PM GMT 
patty92127 13 Feb 2013 9:40PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions