Search for content in message boards

Mismatch - haplotype J2-m172

Replies: 9

Re: Mismatch - haplotype J2-m172

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 6:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just got my results and had the same questions as you. Blond hair, blue eyes typical Anglo-saxon stock (with some Norman and Viking thrown in there), and I can also trace most parts of my family back to >1500, including Paternal line (Smith!) which is the one that has thrown up M-172 as a result.
I was also sceptical that maybe there was a fault, but then I looked into the fat there are a fair few M-172s in the UK, and started to research a bit.
I've looked into it some more and have three theories:
Most Likely: ROMANs did it. Someone from the Med came over with the Romans and impregnated a local, or settled. Quite likely actually. This was afterall some thousand and a half years before I can trace my Smith family, hundreds of years before surnames started, and loads of time for the mediterranean traights to be bred away and replaced by anglo-saxon. This is a very reasonable explanation, the Roman influence on the UK was massive.
2nd Most Likely: PHOENECIANs or Someone else from bible-country coming over on a Phoenecian boat. It's pretty well known that there was extensive trading between them and the british isles, especially for tin. All those legends of Joseph of Arimathea coming to the UK etc etc.
3rd option (starting to get quite unlikely..): Accoriding to ancient British (welsh) legend there were two major migrations from places where M-172 is from during pre-biblical times. Firstly - from UR (Syria), by a King Albin (see. Albion) and his followers some x000 years ago. Secondly, from Troy (Turkey) led by Brutus (see. Britain). Either could have brought the bloodline. But this gets into the realm of legend and lots of dodgy pseudo-history. The most compelling things I could find about this were written by Alan Wilson and Baram Blackett, who also claim that this is the line of king arthur etc... so go figure! However, then I can't explain why such a thin M-172 thread should survive in amongst the much more broadly used British/Welsh/Celt haplogroups, unless they were some kind of ruling elite...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
arkaney1 28 Aug 2011 4:13AM GMT 
nathan_mn 30 Aug 2011 4:29AM GMT 
arkaney1 31 Aug 2011 7:01AM GMT 
nathan_mn 1 Sep 2011 12:34PM GMT 
arkaney1 8 Apr 2013 6:58AM GMT 
arkaney1 8 Apr 2013 6:58AM GMT 
MJ782 9 Apr 2013 4:40AM GMT 
arkaney1 9 Apr 2013 5:35AM GMT 
matthewgsmith 8 Apr 2013 12:36AM GMT 
McCorkleAusti... 8 Apr 2013 3:03AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions