Search for content in message boards

Ancestry DNA Results

Replies: 45

Re: Ancestry DNA Results BARRY

Posted: 7 May 2012 9:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Jim, that sounds very familiar to many folks' experience with their results so far. Here is my experience:

I looked at my results yesterday but was disappointed that my pedigree ethnicity was so different than my genetic ethnicity, enough to think perhaps there is a problem with my results. For instance, my results state that my genetic ethnicity is 91% British Isles, 6% Russian/Persian/Turkish, and 3% Other. This does not match my pedigree. My pedigree on both sides of parents is predominantly French, as most of my ancestors were French colonists of Canada, Acadia, and Louisiana. Out of the nearly 3,000 people in my family tree, I have none that are from the Russian/Persian/Turkish part of the world… that was a total surprise (although my surname is from southern Spain, perhaps there was a migration or something to that area from way back). Based on my pedigree, I would expect my genetic ethnicity to be around 50-60% Western or Southern Europe and the rest to be British Isles. I just find it really odd that I received no “hits” for Western Europe (France/Spain) given this is the predominant portion of my family tree. I sent feedback to Ancestry, but I was curious if anyone else has something similar to this or could anyone provide some insight for me?

I just wonder if since most of my ancestry is from French colonists of North America, then perhaps they are confusing the results with the British colonists of North America? I had one person that was a 4th cousin match, and in fact we had some common ancestors. Based on their family tree, many of their ancestors were French Canadian and Louisianan as were mine and their results were 86% British Isles, 6% Southern European, and 8% Other… which again, seems kind of odd.

As I am reading more on Autosomal DNA, my results seem plausible, but it is rather different than what I have on paper and feel that my tree is mostly well-documented. I think that one thing that is needed is to know how far back the tests go to the point of should we be considering Germanic tribes when looking at different regions.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jbarry6899 4 May 2012 5:48PM GMT 
bethquave 7 May 2012 3:28PM GMT 
jbarry6899 7 May 2012 4:48PM GMT 
bethquave 7 May 2012 10:04PM GMT 
D_Bennett68 30 Jul 2012 12:05PM GMT 
jbarry6899 31 Jul 2012 4:46PM GMT 
Timgray43 21 May 2013 7:30PM GMT 
DeFilippis78 23 Jun 2013 12:29PM GMT 
jbarry6899 23 Jun 2013 12:56PM GMT 
Timgray43 23 Jun 2013 1:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions