Search for content in message boards

Ancestry DNA Results

Replies: 45

Re: Ancestry DNA Results

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 12:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
I just got my results back and find them perplexing too. My father's mother was of half British descent, one quarter French and one quarter German. His father was an Ashkenazi Jew. My mother was full blooded Sicilian. I would have expected at least 10 - 12% British Isles but that did not show up. I have heard that a lot of people with British ancestry are coming up Scandinavian on this test. I did not, but I did show a higher than expected amount of Central European. When I called customer service they told me that perhaps I did not inherit my Dad's British ethnicity. My father and I don't believe that.

I read that a special research project has begun as a result of the many people with British ancestry who are not being classified as such by this test. All I can say is that the more I read, the more I'm sure my results are not accurate. Obviously the samples they're comparing our results to are not as large or comprehensive as they should be. What really irks me is that customer service did not even mention this to me, but suggested that perhaps I did not inherit this aspect of my father's DNA. I find that to be irresponsible of them. They did say that the test results are still in the "beta" stage and that over time my results might change in light of new information. When they finally release the raw data, I will definitely have it looked at by other sources to see if the results come back different.

Needless to say, this is very disappointing, especially after finding out through my genealogical research that I am descended from the Mayflower and historical figures in the American Revolution. My British ancestry is well documented and I descend mainly from settlers who came to New England in the 1600s. There wasn't much ethnic diversity in that population for hundreds of years. Being told that I possibly did not inherit any ethnicity from this side of my family is downright hurtful on a personal level.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
renman154 15 Sep 2012 11:37PM GMT 
tapacelli 28 Aug 2012 3:03AM GMT 
nathan_mn 28 Aug 2012 7:28PM GMT 
tapacelli 29 Aug 2012 1:42AM GMT 
nathan_mn 29 Aug 2012 7:14AM GMT 
tapacelli 29 Aug 2012 10:02PM GMT 
ntuitive1 14 Sep 2012 6:23AM GMT 
nathan_mn 14 Sep 2012 8:39AM GMT 
tapacelli 14 Sep 2012 8:36PM GMT 
D_Bennett68 16 Sep 2012 1:50AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions