Search for content in message boards

Interpreting DNA Matches

Replies: 32

Re: Interpreting DNA Matches

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 5:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Wow, haven't been back here in a while.
Did the 23andMe test, had my mother and 3rd cousin done too. Oh, about third cousins, I'll have to tell my cousin's daughter that she's probably shouldn't go to her 3rd cousin's wedding next week. We cousins all have grandchildren, our mothers are 91 and 92 and all their g-grandchildren know each other. So the cousins and their families' connection through our grandfather should be discounted, since "anything farther out than third cousin is pretty meaningless"? I guess "meaningless" depends on whether you live in the same area or across the country from each other.

I'm really sick of getting "Great News!" emails from Ancestry about "closest new matches" when the highest matches always have NO tree or a"Private Tree". So I'm left with scraping the bottom of the barrel of "Low Confidence" matches. In 23andMe, the majority of "DNA Relatives" are anonymous, no information.
Today, in Ancestry, out of the 50 on the first page, 21 have no tree, 8 have a private tree, 11 or so have less than 50 people with great grandparents, but no dates or locations.
Locations- c'mon, take a guess, Mars? How about a continent at least?
No tree- Sometimes there are links to several, separated trees which just makes the process that much longer. Let me see, 50 per page x 117 pages........ Yeah, there might be a match in there somewhere, blah, blah, blah... life is too short to waste on obfuscation.
50 or less people in a tree- I'm DONE researching other people's trees for them

So many people have told me that they don't have a public tree because they want to get it "right" first. Like it's ever going to be "right" (perfect?).
Why? Because genealogy is research-
Research- "used to establish or confirm facts, reaffirm the results of previous work, solve new or existing problems, support theorems, or develop new theories." and "a diligent and systematic inquiry or investigation into a subject in order to discover or revise facts, theories, applications, etc."

And consider "Maternity is fact, Paternity is speculation"
In the 1700's the rate was about 7% in Europe.(and that was only reported instances) In the 1800's "rates ranged from 30% to 50% in parts of rural England, Sweden, Vienna and the Netherlands. Rural areas of Austria experienced extremely high illegitimacy, up to 27.8% in 1870." etc. etc.
DNA results could get pret-ty darned interesting in the future...........
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Loraine Montf... 21 May 2013 4:28PM GMT 
DPotts57 21 May 2013 4:49PM GMT 
Loraine Montf... 29 Sep 2013 11:21AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions