Search for content in message boards

AncestryDNA: another thread about the ethnicity percentages.

Replies: 11

AncestryDNA: another thread about the ethnicity percentages.

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 9:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Sep 2012 9:40PM GMT
Hello, all.

I just recently got my results from AncestryDNA, and have found it to be very different than I'd have expected. It is as follows:

Central European: 74%
Eastern European: 12%
Middle Eastern: 10%
Uncertain: 4%

I should say that I am familiar with how this works, and that such results do differ from what people expect. I was initially much more confused, but quickly realized that AncestryDNA doesn't have a "Western European" population, but puts it into "Central European".

This made more sense, however, there is no reflection of any of my British ancestry, in neither "British Isles" nor "Scandinavian" (the latter I'd have also expected on its own merit via my Norwegian ancestors who begin at just five generations back). And while I've not ever seen any hint of an Eastern European ancestor, I have seen "Eastern European" show up for me in other tests, albeit a smaller percentage.

Now, what I'm really curious about is how AncestryDNA factors their Southern European population at the moment. My father is absolutely, positively Abruzzese, or central (north) Italian. I've traced it back many generations and it's all there within a tiny handful of towns (about five) for the last couple centuries I've seen records for.

Can anyone else who is of Italian descent comment with how their results were returned, and how you interpret that? I'm thinking either this part must still have a ways to go in terms of population samples, and that is why maybe most of that part of my ancestry is appearing as this "Central European" group, or that there's something to that notion in general, and maybe there's a North Italian-Rest of West Europe connection I'm not familiar with.

I've been assuming that, in other tests, my father's side was showing up as a roughly even division of Southern European and Western Asian, slightly favoring the former, and that the other groups (West and East European and maybe some of the South European) were my mother's side (she's your run-of-the-mill American blend).

Just for the sake of it, here's some other percentages from other sources:

23andMe:

European: 100% (helpful, I know, haha)

Dodecad (default, though others were also used with similar results):

West European: 37.36%
Mediterranean: 31.26%
West Asian: 14.6%
East European: 9.54%
Southwest Asian: 6.23%
The others were less than one percent or zero.

Y-DNA Haplogroup: G2a

Anyhow, mostly curious about the Italians. Bonus if there are others of Abruzzese origins who can share their results. Hope we can learn a bit more!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
A_E_Colangeli 4 Sep 2012 3:37AM GMT 
calrebel99 7 Oct 2012 11:20PM GMT 
SylviaMastBer... 10 Mar 2013 2:10PM GMT 
vlm2621 10 Oct 2012 2:41AM GMT 
cathymd 5 Dec 2012 2:23AM GMT 
nathan_mn 5 Dec 2012 11:17AM GMT 
Jason Gervase 10 Mar 2013 5:05AM GMT 
McCorkleAusti... 10 Mar 2013 3:49PM GMT 
Rosalie924 10 Mar 2013 11:48PM GMT 
Jason Gervase 11 Mar 2013 12:26AM GMT 
per page