Search for content in message boards

Feedback - Tell us what we need to tell Ancestry about the test

Replies: 13

Re: Feedback - Tell us what we need to tell Ancestry about the test

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 3:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have several suggestions:

1. Improve the number of ways that we can mark our matches. We need the ability to do something more than just mark a particular person in our match list with a star and then have to scroll through our list of starred persons before finding them again. I would like to be able to mark people as "Confirmed matches," "possible matches but more research needed," "reviewed but unlikely matches," etc. Some sort of folder categorization method would be nice. I would like to have the ability to group all of my matches with whom I have confirmed a relation with a particular ancestral family into a separate folder.

2. Provide some ability to jump ahead to a particular page where I quit working previously without having to go from page 1 to page 7 and then to work my way up from there. If I quit looking at my matches the previous day on page 14, I would like the ability to return immediately to page 14 without having to make several steps.

3. Fix the glitch that returns me to page one when I use the Back or Return button. Sometimes I will be on page 14 of my list of matches and I click on a particular person to review their tree. After doing so, I would like to return to page 14 to continue going down my list. Unfortunately on many occasions, when I hit the Back or Return button on my browser I am returned back to page 1 and then I have to go through the entire process of getting back to page 14 again.

4. Provide us with the ability to filter our match lists by user name. I know that this can be done since it is available on Family Tree DNA. If I know that I have confirmed a match with a particular member such as JR314 or if I know that I want to return to his tree days after I have first reviewed it, I would like the ability to simply type in his name and then be taken to his DNA page rather than having to scroll through my entire list of reviewed or starred matches and hope that I don't miss him during my scrolling process.

5. Provide us with the ability to filter our matches by a particular surname in their tree. For example, if I have pages and pages of new persons in my match list but know that I have a history of finding a particular surname in many of my match's trees, I would like to be able to simply run a filter for all those new matches to see if any of them happen to have that particular surname in the first few generations of their tree. This filter function is available on Family Tree DNA so it should be doable here. Ideally I would like to be able to perform such a filter for their entire tree, not just the generations shown on the abbreviated tree found on their DNA page. In most of my cases, I have had common ancestors with my matches who lived in the 1600s. People who lived that long ago are not going to appear on the abbreviated page that appears on the DNA pages of my matches.

Despite the current shortcomings, I have been very pleased with the results to date of my autosomal testing. I was able to confirm more matches in one week than I did in one year at the other site.

D. Michael Elkins

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TesseractMe 3 Oct 2012 11:20PM GMT 
Shari S. 4 Oct 2012 5:08AM GMT 
jbarry6899 4 Oct 2012 2:24PM GMT 
dmichaelelkin... 23 Oct 2012 9:09PM GMT 
scwbcm 23 Oct 2012 9:58PM GMT 
APTurner 23 Oct 2012 11:06PM GMT 
dmichaelelkin... 24 Oct 2012 12:35AM GMT 
scwbcm 24 Oct 2012 4:29PM GMT 
Alpine2009 1 Nov 2012 2:38PM GMT 
mi2early 1 Nov 2012 4:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions