Search for content in message boards

Ancestry DNA Results and African Ancestry

Replies: 4

Ancestry DNA Results and African Ancestry

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 10:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Feb 2014 7:06PM GMT
I was told by a few ancestry.com reps that they tested people that they "verified" were of a certain ethnicity, and set their DNA as the standard. Then they compared other participants' test results to the standard.

Many other companies gather DNA from groups around the world and test it over and over to make sure that they have a clear baseline. I don't think ancestry.com did this.

I think Scandinavian is a term they are using to encompass a lot of other countries that they haven't yet determined. I took a DNA test previously and I have very, very little Scandinavian DNA (like 2%), yet ancestry DNA says I have around 15%.

They also group all African Americans as as "West African." All parts of the continent are equally beautiful, but I took the test to connect with other members who reflect similar DNA; not be lumped together with every person of Color. I've been told that a few people have results from other parts of Africa, but they mainly just group everyone all together based on their previously set "standard."

It makes me wonder if they truly look at members' DNA matches and establish connections, or if these connections are based on last names and matching regions. The whole thing is rather strange. Still, I've established connections with other members with whom I share a great grandparent....so maybe the test really is onto something.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DeeMarie215 5 Nov 2012 5:21PM GMT 
ntuitive1 5 Nov 2012 8:08PM GMT 
tapacelli 5 Nov 2012 10:35PM GMT 
mollyandmarie 7 Mar 2013 8:18AM GMT 
DeeMarie215 7 Mar 2013 2:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic