Search for content in message boards

Private Trees and DNA Contacts

Replies: 300

Re: Private Trees and DNA Contacts

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 7:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
I understand no tree and private tree matches more than I understand those that think 1) other people took the test for the same reason they did and 2) no tree and private tree matches hold the key to all their brick walls. But I don't think the onus for making contact is on the person with the public tree. Unless they are continually griping about private trees then they're the reason I wrote the post to begin with.
If Ancestry did block private tree owners from seeing public tree results I bet we'd see a rash of 3 person trees (all 3 people living) or trees filled with John Does, Mary Smiths, Charles Joneses, etc..
My personal pet peeve is those who attach results to someone other than the person who took the test :-P

http://buwt.blogspot.com/2013/02/no-tree-and-private-tree-dn...

Here are the main points if you don't want to click through:

PRIVATE TREES
To those complaining, start messaging your matches. If you message them they might actually respond. If all you do is gripe you'll get nowhere.
If you have a private tree consider creating a public tree for your DNA results. No need for media or sources or even adding all children. Just a direct line tree with names, birth dates/places and death dates/places. [Happy to see so many on this thread have already done this!!!]

NO FAMILY TREE
Check. They may have multiple trees and just haven't connected their results to one of them.
They could be adopted. If they are they'll probably be contacting you.

JUST THE PIE
Some people may not care about making contact with distant relatives. They took the test for the ethnicity results. Period. Just because they are your 7th cousin twice removed does not mean they have to return your messages. They did not take the test for you.

NO EMAIL
They aren't always ignoring you. Ancestry's messaging system is really glitchy. One week I'll get an email for every message. The next? Plenty of messages but no email. I can't be the only one this is happening to.

-Loretta
Barking Up the Wrong Tree Blog
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
natfrey 23 Feb 2013 8:42PM GMT 
DPotts57 24 Feb 2013 12:17AM GMT 
sarahjune58 21 Feb 2013 2:39PM GMT 
DPotts57 21 Feb 2013 3:04PM GMT 
LorettaLG 5 Mar 2013 2:31PM GMT 
dmichaelelkin... 12 Mar 2013 5:17PM GMT 
MelanieJones6... 20 Mar 2013 4:02PM GMT 
oma2004 21 Mar 2013 6:06AM GMT 
LeeHigdonNewe... 21 Mar 2013 10:39AM GMT 
mossgarden1 10 Aug 2013 10:27AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions